Date(s) - 17/03/2018
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Centre
** This course is now full. Please phone 0131 625 0700 to be put on the waiting list or you can book a private consultation with Derek here.**
Derek is a professional musician and vocal specialist who divides his career between his work as a musical director, composer and arranger, and as an educationalist, vocal teacher and voice coach. In in the UK, France, Germany, Scandinavia and the USA he has directed workshop-lectures demonstrating sound and consciousness, the therapeutic use of voice, and voice in communication. Derek is an accredited Healer Member of The Healing Trust (National Federation of Spiritual Healers).
- Sound has been used for many thousands of years across many different cultures in ritual, for therapeutic purposes and in healing: come and rediscover the link.
- This Workshop offers the key to unlocking and understanding the hidden elements of the voice, the responsibility that we carry when we use these elements, and what happens when we reconnect with our voices and find the power behind them.
- Tapping in to our voice and its sound power can allow us to connect more deeply and honestly with people – our audience, clients, our friends and family.
- This workshop is an intensive experience, combining a lecture demonstration with active participation and exploration, whilst putting the work into context by cross-referencing both scientific and spiritual principles in the light of the latest research.
- In these Workshops, participants are those seeking to expand their knowledge and experience of how sound can change consciousness. They are drawn from all walks of life including those engaged in healing, and therapeutic work, as well as professional practitioners in the fields of music, drama and voice.
How the day unfolds:-
The morning is a demonstration of shamanic sounds from different cultures where Derek works individually with each participant (in short sessions of 5 to 10 minutes) and uses these demonstrations to initiate discussion within the group. He uses his own voice to allow each individual to experience the potential of sound to change consciousness as well as to stimulate physical and other responses. There is some science and mathematics along the way, and a placing of the work in historical and philosophical context.
In the afternoon the Group works with collective sound improvisation, so there is an opportunity for participants to use their own voices based on the experiences of the morning’s demonstrations and discussion. The aim of the afternoon’s work is to unlock the ability to combine intuition, imagination, intention and sound to enhance the capacity to communicate and the potential to heal and self-heal through the voice. For the individual this also means a broadening of consciousness combined with inner balance through the interaction with sound.
As the workshop draws people from all sorts of disciplines and life paths there is no requirement for vocal ability or conventional musicality (although both qualities would be welcomed!). Please dress comfortably. There will be no movement but there will be some standing during the improvisation exercises.
Derek will also be offering private sessions on Sunday 18th March at the Centre. Bookings for this will be released early 2018.
Tickets to this workshop are £80.00 each and can be purchased below or by phoning 0131 625 0700.
This event is fully booked.